A perfect crunchy and varied salad for a winter buffet, serve with cold meats and baked potatoes to bring out the array of wonderful flavours.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 6 sticks celery, thinly sliced at an angle, reserve green leaves
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 dessert apple, thinly sliced
- 2 oranges, remove zest before cutting away the skin, thinly sliced
for the maple and orange dressing
- 150g cranberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsps orange juice
What to do
First make the dressing by placing the cranberries in a small saucepan with the maple syrup, cook until softened a little but still holding their shape, cool. Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon and orange juice and the cooled cranberries.
Mix together the celery, fennel and red onion, pile onto a serving platter, add the apple slices and oranges.
Pour over the dressing, lightly toss together and serve sprinkled with some torn green leaves from the celery and the reserved orange zest.